Friday 27 June 2008

Reading matter

When I want to find out about something, I naturally reach for a book, when I want to enjoy myself my first instinct is to look for a book to read!

So, when I want to find out more about Christianity the first thing that I do is seek out books to read. There is the Bible of course, but I have decided to try and find the right Bible study tools first before I try and read something that is a bit heavy and in the meantime I looked for other books.

I have a pile on my shelves already, but want to talk about the book that I found last weekend which is "The Gospel according to Harry Potter: the spiritual journey of the world's greatest seeker" as written by Connie Neal. I am about half way through the first chapter and am thoroughly enjoying this book. More so because I have read the Harry Potter books and can remember the bits in the book that Neal points out and uses to illustrate sections of the Gospel.

Yes, I realise that the Harry Potter books are reviled by some as being tools to teach witchcraft to children. To which I peer over my glasses in a manner very very familiar to my family as the "are you being stupid" look!! It's just a story and is meant to be enjoyed as a story! Indeed, Connie Neal has chosen the HP books almost for that reason, in order to show that it is possible to find anything you want in a book if you are selective enough!

As a librarian, I am particularly aware that it is very easy to pick and choose the perfect sentence in order to support or disprove your point. Anyway, by selecting the right sentences from HP books one through seven, Connie is able to reveal the Gospel to me in a way that makes sense to me by using examples that I can understand, especially as I have yet to read the Gospel myself!

I am certainly enjoying this book and would recommend it to anyone who would like to have a starting point to the Gospel without getting too bogged down in theology whilst having something enjoyable to read and still manages to get the point across!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I highly recommend the book, The Jesus I Never Knew, by Philip Yancey. Totally amazing book.