Saturday 2 August 2008

Friendship

What is one thing that you absolutely love about friendships? Why? On the other side, what is one thing that you find absolutely difficult when it comes to friendships? Why?

That is this week's question from Internet Cafe Devotions and here is my answer!

Friendships are what make the world go round! Where we would we be without our friends? Anyway, there are two things that I love about friendships, the first is that you can talk about anything and everything and assuming that we are talking about true deep friendship, then you truly can talk about anything under the moon and your friend will listen (as will you) and not judge, but engage in conversation and draw out what you really feel and help you come to terms with what it is that you're having trouble with.

The second thing I love about friendship is more to do with the fact that I don't see my closest friends very often, but when we do get together, the time apart falls away and it's as though we met just last week instead of last year. We fall into our usual conversation patterns and chatter away, we remember family names and happening and rush to catch up with each other!

The one thing that I do find difficult about friendships is how to get to that level of closeness so that you can do what I've already mentioned. I don't make close friends easily and find it difficult to get beyond the acquaintance stage. Probably because I am quite reserved and while I can be quite chatty in general conversation, getting past that into the deeper conversation takes more effort than I realise.

Plus there is the difficulty in that I tend to meet people professionally rather than socially, or at least in the last two years as I have worked more hours than I would normally. This year, however, I intend to drag myself a little further out of my shell and perhaps make a few friends in this area that are not related to work!

As iron sharpens iron, so a man sharpens the countenance of his friend
Proverbs 27:17

11 comments:

Toknowhim said...

Great answers... I agree :) Blessings and thanks for participating...

Rebecca said...

You know, I have trouble getting past the aquaintance stage too...

great post!

Lily said...

I can totally relate to the reserved part, and being hard to get past the acquainance part.

Renee said...

Thanks for sharing! I am praying that God places people in your path that you can create new meaningfull relationships with outside of work. I know he will!

Anonymous said...

I sometimes feel like I've met the friendship quota for this lifetime. I guess because of all that's going on so I don't open myself up to get close to anyone new. I've had a few people surprise me in the last year... and they have become my friends. It's fun to have friends!

Melanie said...

I like your answers, Sam. Friendship is such a wonderful blessing... don't know where I'd be without my friends.

Have a great week!

Chel's Leaving a Legacy said...

I agree Sam; my closest friend lives in another state, but when we get together, it's always comfortable, familiar, and safe. It's a great feeling.

And I do know exactly what you mean about moving beyond the acquaintence part. It's not easy, but when you find someone willing to do the same, it's SO worth it!

Kimberly said...

Hi! It is so nice to meet you!

Friendships are such a blessing from God. True friends. It really can be hard to get past that acquaintance part. It can take time to feel safe truly opening up with someone else. But when you find those special women, they are such treasures, aren't they? :)

Oh, and congrats on winning the bookmark! :) That sounds great!

Blessings!

Kimberly said...

Me, again! I am so glad you came back by! :)
I had enough holes to wear three pairs of earrings years ago, but the tops ones grew back in. :)

Blessings! :)
K

Peggy said...

Sam...I wished this one but you did so well! Good enough for both of us!

You were the first to respond the last time I did this. Bless you.

Stop by and visit with me soon... there will be something special waiting for you. It's in Tuesday the 12th of August post!

Still sharing the love & Friendship

Edie said...

I just stopped by to say Hi Sam. Hope all is well!