Saturday 26 July 2008

Book Titles

This weeks question from Internet Cafe Devotions is "what would be a title of a book about your life?"

This seems rather similar to that "your life in six words" meme that I came across a few weeks ago and I played that one on my Life and Times of Me blog and said "books, books, books, here, there, everywhere" which I thought was rather reflective of my voracious reading hobby and my career as a librarian!

I think that this question requires a bit more subtlety though; do I go for a film type title - "Samantha: the book" (like Garfield: the movie!) which seems silly, do I do go for something highbrow like....um, er, I can't actually think of anything highbrow as I am definitely not a highbrow kinda person!

Once, someone told me that my name means listener and thinking on it now, I think that this would be a great title for a book "Samantha means listener" as this could be applied in so many ways.

I am deaf, which you may think makes a mockery of the chosen book title, but actually I think that emphasises the title as although I am deaf, I strive to listen; to listen to the conversations around me, to listen to my cat meow at me, to listen to the music in my car, to listen sounds that are normal to you but unusual to me - sounds your brain has heard, absorbed, recognised and ignored are sounds that make me listen and want to know what they are.

Sometimes my whole being is focused on listening to what you have to say as it requires more than just my ears, I have to watch your mouth and body movements, I have shut out everything else in order to concentrate on you, sometimes I even have to position myself so that I am in the right place for understanding.

And I think that this is a good way to demonstrate listening to and understanding God as we need to listen to Him with more than our ears, we need to put ourselves in the right position for listening, and we need to concentrate on Him alone if we are hear anything.

Why spend money on what is not bread
and labour on what does not satisfy?
Listen, listen to me, and eat what is good,
and your soul will delight in the richest of fare.
Isaiah 55:2

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful post and a librarian too!! Lol, I'll have to ask you for recommendations..I just love reading and can't get enough of hearing what others are reading or recommended.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful post!
For the last few years I have been growing deaf in my left ear. I sense that God is telling me that what is lost in my natural ability will be replaced with a deeper spiritual hearing.
After all, wouldn't we rather hear Him than the world?

Denise said...

Such a precious post, bless you.

Edie said...

This is very insightful Sam. I so understand what you mean about having to put everything you have into listening. Not because I'm deaf, since I'm not, but because I used to work at a company where we made products for people with disabilities. I handled customer service and technical support and would often have to talk with people who had severe speaking difficulties. I had to listen with all my might sometimes. Listening like that lets people know that you are sincerely interested in what they have to say. You certainly have that quality.

I love that verse from Isaiah. Looks like you are reading your Bible. :D

Renee said...

"Sometimes we have to position ourself in the right place for understanding" Wow!

I beleive God has used you today to speak loudly into my heart!
Thankyou for Sharing

Lily said...

I always enjoy reading your posts. Thank you for allowing God to use you to speak to my heart today.

Chel's Leaving a Legacy said...

This started out for me to be a very enjoyable post, and then at the end...it became very profound. Nicely done.

TOO many times I try to listen while doing other things. With people, I'm taking my abiblity to "hear" for granted.

But then, to apply it to listening to God, I take my ability (privilege!) to "hear" Him speak to me...and I do the SAME thing!

What I need to do is concentrate on the One that I'm supposed to be listening to.

Thanks, Sam. I'm listening today. :-)

Laurie Ann said...

Great post! Thanks for your sweet comment on my blog.