Saturday 5 July 2008

A godly woman

Do you have a godly (woman) mentor in your life? If so, describe your relationship with her…
If you don’t have a mentor, would you like one and what would you hope to gain from the relationship?
In my mind the word mentor suggests an older person counselling a younger because they have a lot of experience and knowledge to pass on, which is a great thing, but I also see this as a teacher-student relationship which to me is not an equal relationship. So, I would actually prefer a more equal relationship based on the fact that we have a great deal to learn from each other.

Perhaps this is based on the fact that I find that my respect for the teacher/mentor gets in the way of my ability to question and discuss because I am in awe of their knowledge and tend to accept what they say as correct without thinking about it.


As it is, I don't actually have anyone who I would consider a mentor (or like-minded friend) that would help me to get the most out of my faith. Having said that, as I've said before, I am enjoying and using all those blogs to spark my thinking and steer me down paths that I may not have considered before.

It would, however, be nice to find someone I can talk to in real life as well as reading all those blogs as good conversation is always far better in person. So I have to find myself a Church that I can relate to...make a few friends...and get some conversation going!!

6 comments:

Kathie said...

I also have no one I would consider a "mentor" although I seem to frequently play the role of mentor for others. I think each of us, regardless of the length of our Christian walk, need a special someone with whom we can talk. Enjoyed your post.
Blessings from Costa Rica

Leaon Mary said...

Hi
I'll pray you find a special Mentor and friends to share in your Christian walk. Finding a church home and getting involved in ministries is how I met most of the people who mentor me. It sure helps in this world that's for sure!
God bless you,
Have a beautiful sabbath tomorrow.
Lea
<*)))><

Cristine said...

Sam, I so hope you find a good church. Try and make that a priority... it is so important to fellowsip with other believers. I was pretty much alone in my faith walk for many years. I went to church, but didn't really get to know anyone (fear). I asked the Lord for help with that a little over a year ago and He has answered that prayer big time. I have been blessed with some amazing sisters in Christ that have made such a huge impact on my life. I now can't imagine not knowing them. It isn't God's intention that we walk in our faith alone.. we need others to share our walks with. I pray you will find that right church and that God will send you some awesome ladies to fellowship with. God's Peace! Cristine

Laurie Ann said...

I am praying for you to find a mentor and a church home. Enjoyed reading your post.

Anonymous said...

It can be quite hard to find a mentor. My mum has been my only real mentor...I've moved away from home and I find myself making really long phone calls to her cos there's no one else to talk to.

I pray you find someone special with whom you can share that relationship.

Lily said...

That is a great idea. It is so important to fellowship with other believers.

As you mentioned "like-minded", it is important to be able to learn from eachother...iron sharpons iron, Proverbs 27:17. This would be considered accountablility.