Tuesday 8 July 2008

Women Bishops

If you live in the United Kingdom it couldn't possibly have escaped your notice that is great deal of commotion currently going on up and down the country with regards women being Bishops. I don't know what the news or blog coverage has been in other countries so I don't know how much you all know about this particular issue.

But.....I just wanted to add my tuppenny worth, even though I cannot profess to understand all the theological issues regarding the ordination of women as Bishops. All I know is that I personally see no reason why women shouldn't be Bishops or even Arch-Bishops (I can only hope and pray that this will happen one day!) as we all have the ability and the call to spread God's Word.

There are many that argue that there are Biblical and theological arguments as to why women should not be Bishops, but I believe that this is a very limited viewpoint as women have different qualities to offer congregations and communities whether as lay-readers, vicars, or Bishops. We have different view points and outlooks on life, not to mention a different way of tackling various problems.

The Church of England's General Synod have indeed voted for the consecration of women Bishops, but they have also voted to draw up a code of practice meant to reassure opponents of the vote, although the Synod have stated that this will not include establishing so-called male "super-Bishops" in order to cater for those that will not go to women Bishops. And rightly so as this would be likely to lead to the thinking that women Bishops are of less stature than the men, and as such, would be wrong - at least in my eyes.

Despite all the arguments and counter-arguments that are being discussed I believe that this is not about equality, not about traditionalist Church movements, not about increasing congregations, but it is about answering the call of God whether you are male or female.

At the end of the day, I would argue that we should be putting far more energy into spreading the Gospel rather than arguing who the best person to do the job is!! Besides, if the head of the Church of England is the Queen, how can you possibly argue against women Bishops!! ;-)

1 comment:

Edie said...

Sam you ask such great questions, and clearly you have a strong desire to follow in God's ways. Isn't is just awesome that He promises to instruct us and show us His truths? That His Word was designed to do just that and will succeed in doing so.

In Isaiah 55:8-11 God says
"For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways," declares the LORD. "As the heavens are higher than the earth,
so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts. As the rain and the snow
come down from heaven, and do not return to it without watering the earth and making it bud and flourish, so that it yields seed for the sower and bread for the eater, so is my word that goes out from my mouth: It will not return to me empty, but will accomplish what I desire and achieve the purpose for which I sent it."

Considering your question about women as Bishops, or as Leaders in the church, I can only go to God for answers. If I rely on my own "wisdom" I'm very likely to end up in deep trouble. As God so clearly points out in the scripture above, I don't know or understand what He knows and understands. Just like children don't know what their parents know (but I sure thought I did). :D

So when I go to God's Word to find the answer to the roles of men and women in the church I find this is discussed in 1 Timothy 2. I would love to dialog with you about what God's Word reveals to you. :D