Saturday 12 July 2008

Lord of the Dance

There is so much inspiration out there in the bloggie world in the form of carnivals. I am not sure that this is the right word, but what I mean is a blogger who has an idea and then makes it a regular post and invites other people to join in and connect their post to the one that started it all!! For example, I did a Thankful Thursday the other day, and my Saturday question from Internet Cafe Devotions is the same sort of thing.

However, I have discovered that there is so much inspiration out there that they can't all have their own day as there are more than seven of them!! So.....I am now going to mix and match according to how I feel and what I fancy writing about and today I am not answering the Cafe Devotions question because it asks us to choose a woman from the Bible that we relate to, and as I have said before, I haven't read the Bible in any great depth so I can't really make that decision.

But enough waffling, today I am going to join in with Then Sings My Soul Saturday!


Basically the idea is to blog about a song, a song that makes my soul sing! As a child, my favourite Christian song was Lord of the Dance, and it stood out because all the other songs we sung tended to be very traditional and slow with unpredictable (to me) emphasis on words. That will make more sense to you when you realise that I am deaf and much prefer lyrics that have a very regular rhythm rather than lyrics following a tune that means that you stretch out that word but not that one - it gets very confusing when I find myself a word or two behind everybody!!

Hence, my favourite Christian song when I was about ten was Lord of the Dance..."Dance then wherever you may be, I am the Lord of the Dance said He". I have just done a bit of research and have discovered that the author, Sydney Carter, also wrote "One more step" and "When I needed a neighbour" - both of which are also strongly embedded in my memory as songs that I can sing and clap and dance to!

Today though, the Lord of the Dance has a stronger meaning for me as the chorus shows me that no matter where or how I may be dancing, He is the one who leading me. Naturally that seems quite an obvious statement, but to me it resonates because for all those years that I didn't think that I was dancing or being lead by the Lord, I was - He has led me to the point where I am now trying to listen to what he has to say rather than deliberately not paying attention.
Dance, then, wherever you may be,
I am the Lord of the Dance, said he,
And I'll lead you all, wherever you may be,
And I'll lead you all in the Dance, said he

5 comments:

Edie said...

Hi Sam - I love what you wrote about this song and how God has used it to inspire you.

Do you sign? We have a section in our worship center at church where there is a signer for those who are deaf so they can "hear" the sermon and participate in the singing. I sit near this section and I just Love to watch as they are singing. It is so beautiful. I just sit there sometimes and think God must get so much pleasure from their "singing". It's such an awesome way to worship Him.

Deborah said...

Sam,
I'm so glad you have joined all of us in TSMS Saturday. I've really enjoyed seeing what others put on their blog and finding something to put on mine. Your post reminded me of one I wrote when I first starting doing this. You can read it here, http://boutcrazy.blogspot.com/2008/06/dancing-with-father.html

Amy Wyatt said...

I'm so glad you decided to join us at TSMSS. I don't know if I have ever heard this song, but I loved your story about it. Hope you will join in again next Saturday.

Anonymous said...

Hello Sam,

Great minds do think alike in the Lord. Your webpage is such a good thing to behold. Enjoyed it very much! Thank you for the blessing.

In His Love,

Terry

Ingram Gang said...

Thanks for stopping by,hope you will come by again. I laughed at your story of the 'upside down' door.
I, too, have fond memories of this song. Blessings on your journey of faith!