Saturday 19 July 2008

Priorities

This week's question from the Internet Cafe Devotions is all about priorities and it goes like this...

Name what you think should be your first 5 priorities in life? Then order those priorities the way they actually are at present in your own life. Do they match up? Why or why not? If needed, what is one thing that you can do today that will help your two lists match up?
This question opens up a whole can of worms for me because I don't think that I have any priorities, or at least none that I can pin down, which sounds strange but if by priorities we mean things that are important to me and are at the forefront of my mind constantly, then I can't actually think of any. This may mean that I am simply floating through life without any real direction and should actually sit down and think about what my priorities are and so this question is quite timely!

Naturally there are things that if I don't do then life becomes difficult, for instance, if I don't make my family my priority then we could become estranged and I lose contact with them; if I don't make work my priority then I could lose my job and struggle to maintain my house (and other luxuries!), if I don't make myself one of my priorities then I lose self-confidence and energy; and so the list goes.

But I don't actually consider any of them to be a priority in that they are just a part of my life and I get on with the business of living - making sure I chat to Mum online regularly, making sure that I get to work on time, making sure that I have time to pamper myself. So, by default those are my priorities, except that God and my faith do not automatically appear in that list of priorities and this is definitely something that I need to work on. Although, having said that, I actually think more about that at present than I do anything else in that I am considering what to read, study and think on when it comes to my faith.

So....what this question has revealed to me is that I really need to stop and think about what my priorities are and how I can actively work to truly make them (whatever they may be) my priorities. Clearly I need to "work" at life rather than just float through it aimlessly and doing whatever comes my way!

8 comments:

Edie said...

Wow, great thoughts Sam. I love the way these cafe questions get us thinking and praying. This is a tough question for me too. I'm glad I can read what others are saying to help get my thoughts flowing. :)

Toknowhim said...

My hope is that the questions I ask, at least make you think... Good answer... Blessings to you!

Anonymous said...

I've come by your blog often and from what I've read, I'll say God and your faith ARE chief amongst your priorities...

Your posts are usually so open and show your desire to have a closer relationship with HIM. I always learn from your attitude. Thanks so much for this post.

Blessings.

Sheila said...

Sam, I love your honesty! Your a step ahead of many to even take the time to think about where your priorities lie, but I also think it's wise to not get to caught up in analyzation, but rather, as you say, get on with the business of living. It is wise though to stop and check ourselves every once in a while.

have a great day!
sheila

Cristine said...

Hey Sam. Thanks for sharing those thoughts. The thing with priorities is that we all have them, whether we are calling them that or not. There are always certain things in our lives that we place above other things.

Having said that, I think it's awesome that every cafe chat question seems to really stretch your thought muscles and I enjoy reading your responses.

God Bless!
Cristine

Melanie said...

I really need to think about my priorities, too. Thanks for a great post on this topic.

Lily said...

Your openness and honesty is very encouraging. This question made me thing a lot about where my priorities are...I guess I'm a little like you. I make time for the things/people that are important to me.

Peculiar said...

Sam,
Transparency, which is what you have exhibited here, is what we all need to hear and see. It's how we grow. The person who is this way grows by recognizing and admitting where they are in life, and the receiver grows by either closely identifying with that person, or allowing it to be an opportunity to come alongside someone and see how God would have them pray for or help. IOW, transparency IS A GOOD THING.

We're all in different places and God promises to meet us where we are. That's how we are to view each other too. We've all had or do have our priorities "out of whack" at some point or another. Christ, when we surrender to Him, is the only person who can help us make them, set them straight, and keep them straight.

May God help us all to order our lives according to His will. Have a great week.